Dale Coyne Racing dropped 4-time champ Sebastien Bourdais Friday in potentially the biggest shock of the off-season.
A month after James Hinchcliffe was dropped by Arrow McLaren SP for 2020 another veteran is on the outside looking it. According to Marshall Pruett at Racer.com Bourdais was dropped as DCR looks for a driver that can bring funding to the team.
Currently, DCR has no drivers under contract for the 2020 NTT Data IndyCar Series. Santino Ferrucci is expected to return to the squad and Coyne told Motorsport.com that he believes the young American can lead the team in 2020. As for who will partner Ferrucci that still seems to be up in the air.
Where Does Bourdais Go?
With 37 race wins and 4 championships to his name, Bourdais would be a hot commodity in the garage area if this happened in September. Unfortunately, it’s nearly December and every competitive seat is spoken for. Earlier in the year, his name was linked to McLaren and Ganassi. Obviously those deals didn’t pan out and now one of the best to ever get behind the wheel of an IndyCar is left without an open-wheel ride.
According to Jenna Fryer with the AP it appears Bourdais will be full-time in IMSA for 2020. No mention of the team. Bourdais spent 3 of the last 4 years (Indy crash in 2017) driving the Ford GT for Ganassi. Now that the Ford program is defunct Bourdais could literally land anywhere.
Who Goes To Coyne?
In Pruett’s column, he made it sound like Hinchcliffe had secured or would be securing enough funding to take Bourdais’ seat. Coyne admitted they have had talks with Hinch but said this move wasn’t made for any one particular driver.
Hinch makes the most logical sense for this move. Daly brings funding as well but it seems unlikely Air Force is funding enough for a full-season.
Jenna Fryer also mentioned in her tweet that Honda pulled their engine support. That’s the only mention of that so far but it would be a huge set back for the long-time Honda outfit.
Follow us on Twitter @ApexOff